This is a self-paced online course. Learners can register at any time and have 12 months to complete the course.
The evolution of the vCFO role
Digitisation and financial analytics in a fast-paced world are transforming the traditional CFO (Chief Financial Officer) role. The owners of SMEs now have real time access to financial information in a way that was previously only available to larger firms. They are looking for professional advice on how to use this information to plan for growth and value within their business. Accountants in public practice are ideally suited to provide this service through technology and a strong focus on communication.
What is a vCFO?
A virtual CFO is a person or an accounting firm that takes on the role of CFO for a client on a contract basis. Thanks to cloud accounting systems, they can work largely remotely to monitor finances and advise on key business decisions. Their investment in the development of digital solutions and data analytics is affordable because it can be spread across many clients.
Virtual CFOs are well placed to help business owners focus on essential, long-term strategic and financial planning. They base their planning and forecasting activities around the business drivers and report performance against these drivers. Some of the key roles of virtual CFO may include:
1. Develop financial reporting systems
2. Provide forecasting and planning tools
3. Conduct ongoing cost analysis
4. Provide advice on business performance
5. Evaluate growth opportunities
6. Restructuring, M&A and succession planning
7. Ongoing review of risk exposure
What’s the course all about?
This eLearning course is designed to provide a guide to establishing a vCFO service for accountants and advisors in public practice. Over 8 modules, we’ll discuss the key steps to identify the services you can provide, position these services effectively, get clients across the line and deliver services in a way that adds ongoing value. We’ll review some of the key challenges that firms face in delivering vCFO services including price sensitivity, scope creep and reducing value.
How does it work?
The vCFO course consists of 8 modules with clear learning objectives. Content includes presentations, workbooks, support materials and assessment tasks. Most importantly, learners develop their own professional development pathway using our SMART action planning template
Who’s it for?
This course is suitable for managers and partners in public practice who want to develop a vCFO service platform or refine their existing approach to providing vCFO services to business clients.
This course consists of 8 modules:
1. Essential virtual CFO services for accounting firms
- Periodic reporting and review
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Other vCFO services
2. Technology and workflow solutions for vCFO
- Financial reporting and analysis
- Workflow and project management
- Leverage and delegation essentials
3. Getting vCFO clients across the line
- Which clients should you approach?
- Developing proposals that work
- From proposal to contract
4. Managing scope and fee for vCFO service
- Establishing and managing expectations
- The first 12 months of engagement
- Client re-engagement process
5. Managing client expectations
- Key communication skills for vCFOs
- Exploring client’s business goals
- How to be reimbursed for work outside scope
6. Project and task management for vCFO
- Task and time management
- WIP management for vCFO projects
- Overcoming project management challenges
7. Running advisory board meetings
- How to maximise the value of your input
- Board meeting structure and guidelines
- Strategic vs operational discussions
8. How to keep the vCFO business relationship fresh
- Process for regular review and feedback
- Bringing new ideas and concepts into play
- Re-aligning the scope to new circumstances
- Learners can complete courses at a place that suits them, within and outside work hours
- Each learner will have a dedicated login to give them personal access to their course
- Module material includes online presentations, workbooks, PowerPoint Slides, templates, scripts and articles
- All modules also incorporate formal qualitative assessment tasks that encourage learners to develop practical actions demonstrating understanding of the concepts
- All assessment tasks are scored, with directed feedback to learners on their response
- As the learner progresses, they develop their personal SMART action list to drive change
- Managers are able to see at a glance how their staff are progressing
- All learners have access to course content for 12 months following their enrolment
Our self-paced eLearning courses follow a 4-step process in relation to learning objectives:
All modules are structured with specific learning objectives and assessment tasks. Learners are expected to demonstrate that they understand learning objectives and can apply concepts through completion of the assessment tasks. A SMART action planning template is used to consolidate specific actions and to ensure that a timeframe for completion is established and followed. Regular review of progress is ensured through commitment to completing the course.
Thanks so much for this course! The training has given me confidence to take on 1 significant vCFO project that was agreed for $22k. The second vCFO job only started 3-4 weeks ago, we were lucky in that client approached us for this service. However my study helped me to set the job, explain what was needed and negotiate with client changes of scope. Previously I would have priced this upfront and then tried to sort time overruns later. The fee will be $25K+ annually, so another good win. I feel confident chasing this type of work more and actively speaking to clients about it when we catch up.
I thought this course would be comparable to a University lecture. However I was pleasantly surprised the course offers practical and easy to implement tools and systems that will dramatically improve my accounting practice.
I have definitely found value in this course. It has made me question and review some of my current processes and has given me ideas of processes to implement to add further value to my clients.
Useful, have been completed this course in conjunction with a wider advisory course through the institute. Discussion has been very complementary and providing practical steps with vCFO and wider advisory services.
I found this course very enjoyable and informative. It has certainly given me the confidence to deliver vCFO services going forward.
I enjoyed learning how to set up a vCFO service. It is a well-structured course with appropriate assessments that build on what you have learnt in each module. Thank you!
I really enjoyed some of the points in this course. i can takeaway things such as communication skills, fees chargeable and client feedback is extremely important for our firms benefit. i think this course improved on how to provide the service and manage yourself rather than the actual accounting work itself which was a massive bonus for myself and me training my team. will definitely recommend you to my team and others interested in all fields of business.
This was very helpful and the best part is the practical approach to getting ready to provide this type of service to my clients. Amazing work!
As it was first online course within the vCFO context, I rate it 5 starts as I really enjoyed it - the presentation of each module was very well paced, assignment questions interesting - and I wish I had more experience in public practice beforehand, quick feedback on homework highly appreciated, suggestions on softwares, etc. Thank you
Excellent content, valid information and very clear presentation of course. I am very happy I invested into this VCFO course
Virtual CFO Essentials – How to set up a vCFO service for your clients
Number of learnersPlease note:
After purchasing this course, you will receive a welcome email including an induction guide.
This guide provides instructions on how to enrol and commence the course.
If you are registering on behalf of others, you will receive an email with instructions on how to register each learner/s.
Once registered, each learner will receive an induction guide to their own email address.
Tax calculated at checkout.
Have a Question?
Do you have a question about our courses or the way our eLearning platform works?
Get in touch and we'll get back to you shortly.